5/31/09

Red Hook Community Gardens



Cabrini Green Urban Meadow
Backyard Garden


Today we walked around all the community gardens in Red Hook, of which there are quite a few. My favorites are the Cabrini Green Urban Meadow and the Backyard Garden. The first one reminds me of Gilles Clément's concept of the Jardin en Mouvement, with its meadow of wild flowers. The riotous blooms set a nice contrast against the urban background, particularly the view of the shipping dock with the Queen Mary II. The Backyard Garden is more traditional, with a picnic area, an allotment space with individual plots, and a shade garden, with fragrant climbing roses on the fence. I was tempted to put my name on the waiting list for a plot next year. It's certainly a place where I'd like to spend more time and perhaps grow some vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment