7/27/09

The Sea

I was born in a small town by the Pacific Ocean, where I spent much of my early childhood. I remember long days at the beach, swimming in the water and playing on the sand under a vast blue sky and a brilliant sun. This is the landscape that defines me. Part of what I love about the summer is the chance to recapture this lost eden, the chance to immerse myself in the sea, to feel its regenerative force, even just for a tiny moment. We had a perfect day at the beach this Saturday. It was the first time we had gone back to Bellport since we sold the house two years ago. Lily was deliriously happy, diving gleefully into the water every chance she had. Watching her, I saw myself decades ago, in another continent, in a different ocean, but with the same happiness and joy filling up our lungs.

No comments:

Post a Comment